Friday, October 2, 2015

I Am From...

*Don't mistake this poem for a horribly done piece; I purposely wrote it so that not everything rhymes or goes together.*

I'm from family trips and sleepless nights,
From perfectionists and "try-hards".
From the climbing tree within our sight,
And from the north star in the cold.

I'm from "Thank you, Father" and running behind,

From the digital pictures of sunsets.
From the hugs of Grandma,
And from the already-known jokes of Grandpa.

I'm from Buffalo and Minnesota,

From Germany and Ireland.
From "Land of the Free",
And from orchestra and even band.

I'm from paw prints in the snow,

From black against the cold.
From love before anything else,
And from gone before I knew.

I'm from "Jesus loves me",

From pearly gates.
From memory verses,
And from "patiently watch and wait".

I'm from Amy and Chris,

From eleven aunts and uncles.
From football on Thanksgiving,
And from innumerous cousins.

I'm from mice and frogs,

From watching the stars.
From running down the hill,
And from fear of driving cars.

I'm from squishing anthills,

From saving the forest.
From wishing for Australia,
And from talking in a British accent.

I'm from silly pointless videos,

From thousands and thousands of photos.
From birthdays without presents,
And from hiking to another waterfall.

I'm from many groups of friends,

From minimums and over achievers.
From jumper cables,
And from fruit ninjas.

I'm from poetry and writing,

From millions of words.
From challenging the limits,
And from learning new chords.

I'm from acting out stories,

From singing to myself.
From crying under the covers,
And from missing friends lost.

I'm from hating evolution,
From the Truth and not the Lie,
I'm from trusting in the Cross,
And from having no fear if I die.

I'm from debating sometimes losing,
From people-rejected ideas,
From persevering on,
And from succeeding in the end.

I'm from Max Mortingham,
From Heretida and Circeryn,
From Kamani and Aero,
And from more of their kin.

I'm from myself and my life,
From my days and my times,
From choosing my own path,
And from living beyond time.

-bookhouse4

No comments:

Post a Comment